"Any arbitrary turn along the way and I would be elsewhere; I would be different." ~ Frances Mayes








After losing 112 pounds in almost a year and a half, I have come to realize how very much I was missing. I may be Late to the Party, but I am doing my best to catch up in my own unique way!

Friday, December 24, 2010

O' Holy Night

It is Christmas Eve and the anticipation is almost over. The presents are bought and almost all are wrapped, save for a couple.  The baking is done, the steaks for tomorrow evening's dinner are in the fridge. Tonight, this one night of the year, is particularly precious to me.

After rushing out today to get a few last minute gifts, I am home and writing this at 2:30 in the afternoon.  Two of the Fab 5 are in the great room watching the Christmas programs running non-stop today.  It is comforting to hear their chattering banter.  They are both so excited they can hardly contain themselves.  They are on Santa watch and have already seen that NORAD is tracking his flight across the world.  Last time we looked, Santa was making good time in Asia. We are waiting for their mom to come pick them up after her own last minute foray into the last day shopping frenzy, and we expect Ed, their DaDa, to come home from putting in a few hours work, the last work day before a week of holiday leisure.

Now, as we settle in for the remainder of the day, the holiday preparations are complete and the "busy-ness" has reached its climax. In a moment, I am going to turn off the televisions and have the grands lie down for some quiet.  I haven't decided if I am going to a Christmas Eve service.  Probably not.  I have just a few presents left to wrap - surprises for me and Ed in the form of new slippers, a book and a CD to share.  Gabriel and the kids will come tonight and spend the night.  We will prepare the plate of cookies for Santa, as well as a cheeseburger from Burger King!  As we ready for Santa's visit, I will watch the midnight Christmas Mass from Rome. 

Soon, the peace, that comes when the afternoon of Christmas Eve melts into the evening, will descend upon this home.  This night, the night that I have waited now for 365 days, is here.  Before I go to bed, I will turn out the lights of the trees, blow out the candles and spend just a few moments looking at the Nativity scenes, contemplating the meaning of the day yet to come in the morning. It will be a moment of prayer - for peace and joy, for gratitude and forgiveness.

I hope that each of you find your own moment tonight for your own Christmas prayer, whatever that prayer might be.

Merry Christmas to you all......

No comments:

Post a Comment