"Any arbitrary turn along the way and I would be elsewhere; I would be different." ~ Frances Mayes








After losing 112 pounds in almost a year and a half, I have come to realize how very much I was missing. I may be Late to the Party, but I am doing my best to catch up in my own unique way!

Friday, July 9, 2010

I Confess

I have this obsession with Jeeps.  Yes, you read correctly - Jeeps.  Jeep Wranglers to be exact.  A red or green one, preferrably red.  Complete with rollbars, detachable canvas soft-top, extra tire on the back, four-wheel drive and requisite Black Lab named Boo in the back. 

It is the car of my alternative world.  I imagine myself at the wheel, without the canvas soft-top.  I have on my jeans or cargo pants, hiking boots, and since it is autumn in this picture in my head, an awesome baggy sweatshirt - probably LL Bean , hair swept up, and 60 pounds lighter, possibly 20 years younger.

I am on my way to my mountain cabin, having been to the little town in the valley on my once a month sojourn to get groceries, toiletries and art supplies, books, whatever I am into at that given time.  Ed is waiting at the cabin for me with a cup of hot coffee.  There are the makings of that night's fire in the stone fireplace, ready for the lit match to bring it to life.  Boo gets excited as we turn the curve and go down the really L-O-N-G driveway to the cabin and starts wagging his tail insanely fast, just as the panoramic mountain view fills up the windshield and the stones grind as I brake in front of the cabin.

But back to the Jeep......it has a name, like Jezebel or Jessie or Wanda.  It could stand a good wash, but it's a Jeep, for Pete's sake, and it can't be too clean or it loses its appeal.  Jeeps are not supposed to be immaculate; if they are too clean, then...well.... what's the point?  There is a chain with a medallion hanging from the rearview mirror that swings back and forth, and every once in a while I catch it in my hand just to feel the warmth of the afternoon in the metal.  There's a GPS in the glove compartment, in case I need it in my mountain road ramblings, along with a road map.  The hiking backpack is in the back.  Oh, and the plaid blanket for the winter in case of emergencies.

This Jeep is mine. It is my friend and traveling companion.  I trust it to get me from point A to point B and all the places in-between.  It represents independence and fun and adventure.

I go to this alternative world in my mind a lot - A LOT! Hey, you're there now, too, right? Go ahead, you can confess it!

No comments:

Post a Comment